We want to welcome you into the fellowship of Christian believers known as the First United Methodist Church in McCamey, Texas. We are a community of persons who are seeking a deeper relationship with God, through the example of Jesus Christ, and the guidance of the Holy Spirit. May you experience God's grace while you are a part of the ministry here at the First United Methodist Church.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Advent devotional for December 7th

                                      

Read Matthew 25:14-30
"For the man who uses well what he has been given shall be given more, and he shall have an abundance." -Matthew 25:39

My mother, Gladys Elliott, was a wonderful seamstress. She did embroidery, crochet, cross-stitch, quilting, and tatting, as well as machine sewing. Later, she started making all different kinds of sequined Christmas ornaments and other Christmas decorations. When my mother started doing ceramics at the Senior Citizen Center in Hobbs, New Mexico, she made Christmas ornaments for my house. I still have all the ornaments she made and I enjoy decorating my tree with them every year. My mother used well the talents she was given and shared those talents abundantly.

Christmas is a many-splendored occasion. my tree does not have one color scheme or theme. It is a collection of ornaments my mother made, ornaments that have been given to me and ornaments with special meaning from friends or trips I've taken. Seeing all the beautiful decorations my mother made at Christmas and throughout the year is one way that I keep my mother's memory alive and close to my heart.

Thought for the day: Use the talents God gave you to the best of your ability and be willing to share those talents with others.

Prayer: Dear God, help us to see ways to use our talents. help us to be willing o share our talents with others. Amen.

Cytha Peters, FUMC - McCamey

No comments:

Post a Comment